304 stainless steel sheets and plates are the most widely used stainless steel product. 304 grade is the most commonly used grade in stainless steel with more than 50% consumption in this field; usually, we say stainless steel, which is 304 grade by default unless otherwise specified;
The corrosion resistance of 304 can be satisfied in most general use. Even in freshwater, it can be used constantly without corrosion or rust. But 316L is recommended for better corrosion resistance in seawater, high salt, and marine climates.
304 Stainless Steel Sheet and Plate is the full name, usually, we call simple terms such as 304 sheets, 304 plates, stainless steel sheets, and stainless steel plates directly.
-304 Cold Rolled Stainless Steel Sheet and Plate, Cold rolled 304 sheets, Cold rolled 304 Plate
- Thickness: 0.05mm – 3.0mm
- Width: 600mm – 2000mm, the narrowed products pls check in strip products
- Length: 1000mm-6000mm
- Finish: 2B, 2D
-304 Hot Rolled Stainless Steel Sheet and Plate, Hot Rolled 304 Sheet, Hot Rolled 304 Plate,304 PMP, 304 CMP
- Thickness: 1.2mm – 200mm
- Width: 600mm – 3200mm
- Length: 500mm – 12000mm
- Finish: Black, NO.1, Anneal pickling
Specification of 304 Stainless Steel Sheets
304 Grade Description in Different Standards
DIN / EN
S30400 / 304
304 Grade Chemical Components in the Different Standards
8.0 – 10.5
18.0 – 20.0
8,0 – 10,5
17,5 – 19,5
8.0 – 10.5
18.0 – 20.0
8.0 – 10.0
18.0 – 20. 0
304 Mechanical Properties in Different Standards
304 Physical Properties in Different Standards
|304||Density (g/cm³)||Melting point (℃)||Thermal conductivity (W/m-K)||Coefficient of thermal expansion (10^-6/K)||Elastic Modulus(GPa)||Poisson’s Ratio|
Production Process of 304 Stainless Steel Sheets
Melt the elements of iron alloy, chromium, and nickel to make stainless steel raw materials.
The impurities and oxides in the raw materials are removed through vacuum deoxidation and vacuum smelting processes.
The raw material is heated to high temperature and then pressed into stainless steel sheets by hot rolling machines.
A dense oxide film is formed on the surface of the stainless steel sheet to enhance its corrosion resistance.
The pickled stainless steel sheet is heated to a certain temperature again and then pressed into the required thickness and size by a cold rolling machine.
Remove the oxides and oil and other substances left behind during hot rolling through the pickling process to make the surface of stainless steel sheet more flat.
Features of 304 Stainless Steel Sheets
304 stainless steel plate has excellent corrosion resistance, able to withstand long-term use in the atmosphere, water and some chemical media.
304 stainless steel plate still has good oxidation resistance and heat resistance in high temperature environment, able to withstand long-term use at high temperatures.
304 stainless steel plate is easy to process, forming and welding, can be widely used in machinery manufacturing, electronic equipment, food processing and other fields.
304 stainless steel plate high strength, good plasticity, suitable for the manufacture of high strength, high toughness parts and components.
304 stainless steel plate surface is smooth, beautiful, easy to clean and maintain, widely used in architectural decoration, furniture manufacturing and other fields.
304 stainless steel plate is an environmentally friendly material, non-toxic, tasteless, will not release harmful substances, in line with environmental requirements.
Application of 304 Stainless Steel Sheets
Food Processing and Catering Industry
Food Processing Equipment: 304 stainless steel is commonly used in food processing equipment, such as making and storing containers, ovens, fermenters, mixers, etc. This is because 304 stainless steel has good corrosion and high-temperature resistance and can withstand a variety of acidic and alkaline foods as well as high-temperature sterilization treatments.
Catering Equipment: 304 stainless steel is also one of the most commonly used materials in catering equipment, such as kitchen utensils, tableware, water dispensers, refrigerators, workstations, etc. Compared with other materials, 304 stainless steel has the advantages of corrosion resistance, ease to clean, not easy to be contaminated by food, and other advantages, in line with health standards.
Food Packaging: 304 stainless steel can also be used for food packaging. For example, 304 stainless steel will be made into food storage tanks, fresh boxes, etc. Because 304 stainless steel has good sealing performance and corrosion resistance, it can effectively prevent food spoilage.
Medical Equipment and Devices Industry
In the manufacture of surgical instruments, 304 stainless steel plate is commonly used in the manufacture of surgical forceps, forceps, scissors, needles, and other instruments. These instruments need to have excellent corrosion resistance and a high degree of precision to ensure that there will be no failures during the surgical procedure.
In addition, 304 stainless steel sheets can also be used to manufacture medical devices such as pacemakers, artificial joints, and dental implants. These instruments need to have outstanding biocompatibility and reliability to ensure that they can maintain stable and safe performance during medical treatment.
In short, 304 stainless steel sheet has a wide range of applications in the medical equipment and instrumentation industry, and as the medical industry continues to develop, the demand for high-quality, high-performance stainless steel materials will continue to grow.
Construction and Decoration Materials Industry
304 stainless steel sheet is also widely used in the construction and decoration material industry. Because of its beautiful appearance, good corrosion resistance, and easy cleaning, it has become one of the popular materials in the construction and decoration field.
First, in construction, 304 stainless steel sheet is usually used for interior and exterior decorative materials, such as doors, windows, wall panels, ceilings, etc. In the outdoor environment, the oxidation resistance and corrosion resistance of 304 stainless steel can ensure long-term use, while in the indoor environment, its bright appearance and easy to clean are also very suitable for decorative materials. Second, in terms of decoration, 304 stainless steel sheet is usually used to make decorative items, furniture, lamps, and lanterns, such as stainless steel dining tables and chairs, stainless steel kitchen equipment, etc. Because of their bright appearance, ease to clean, strong, and durability, these decorative items and furniture usually have a high-grade sense and modern sense and are loved by consumers.
Chemical and Petroleum Industry
304 stainless steel sheet is also widely used in the chemical and petroleum industries. Due to its good corrosion resistance and high-temperature resistance, it is commonly used in the manufacture of chemical equipment, petroleum drilling equipment, oil storage tanks, and pipelines. In addition, 304 stainless steel sheets can also be used to manufacture chemical reactors, heating furnaces, heat exchangers and various storage tanks, and other equipment that can withstand high temperature and pressure requirements. Their corrosion resistance also allows 304 stainless steel sheets to withstand many chemicals and corrosive media, ensuring the long-term stable operation of chemical and petroleum equipment.
304 stainless steel plates and 304L stainless steel plates both belong to 304 series stainless steel materials, their chemical composition is basically the same, the main difference is the carbon content and heat treatment method.
304L stainless steel plates than 304 stainless steel plates low carbon, carbon content can reach up to 0.03%, which makes 304L stainless steel plate has better corrosion resistance and weldability. Due to the low carbon content, 304L stainless steel plate is not easy to form intergranular corrosion when welding, which is an undesirable phenomenon that will reduce the corrosion resistance of stainless steel plate.
In addition, 304L stainless steel plates commonly used heat treatment is heated to a higher temperature, and then rapidly cooled, called quenching. This heat treatment can eliminate the stress and grain boundary corrosion of stainless steel plate and improve its corrosion resistance and mechanical properties. In contrast, 304 stainless steel sheets usually does not require quenching treatment because of its high carbon content and can be stress relieved by natural cooling.
In short, 304L stainless steel sheets have better corrosion resistance and weldability than 304 stainless steel sheets for environments that require high corrosion resistance. 304 stainless steel sheets, on the other hand, performs well in general, with higher strength and heat resistance properties.
304 stainless steel and 316 stainless steel are both commonly used stainless steel materials, and the differences between them are mainly in the following aspects:
- Chemical Composition: 304 stainless steel’s main composition is 18% chromium and 8% nickel, while 316 stainless steel’s main composition is 16% chromium, 10% nickel, and 2% molybdenum. Therefore, 316 stainless steel has higher corrosion resistance
- Corrosion Resistance: Because 316 stainless steel contains molybdenum, its corrosion resistance is stronger than 304 stainless steel, especially in high temperature and high chloride ion environments is more stable
- Physical Properties: 316 stainless steel has a slightly higher density than 304 stainless steel and higher tensile strength and yield strength than 304 stainless steel
- Price: 316 stainless steel is also more expensive than 304 stainless steel because of its better corrosion resistance and physical properties.
304 stainless steel plates are relatively difficult to machine. Since 304 stainless steel sheet has high strength and hardness, it requires the use of high cutting forces and strong mechanical forces during processing. In addition, because of its poor heat transfer properties, it is susceptible to high temperatures during cutting and machining and requires the use of suitable coolants and tool materials to avoid excessive thermal stress and deformation on the surface of the stainless steel plate. Therefore, processing 304 stainless steel plates requires experienced technicians and professional processing equipment.
304 stainless steel sheets are widely used in many different fields due to their good corrosion resistance, strength, and toughness. Its service life depends mainly on the following factors
- Environmental Factors: The environmental conditions in which the stainless steel sheet is used can affect its life, such as moisture, acid, and alkali environments can lead to corrosion and wear, which can affect its life
- Processing and Use Method: The processing and use method of stainless steel plate will also affect its life. For example, if improper processing methods are used in the manufacturing process, such as improper cutting or welding, it may lead to stress concentrations and cracks in the material
- Material Quality: The quality of the stainless steel plate will directly affect its life. High-quality stainless steel sheets usually have better corrosion resistance and toughness, and can therefore last longer.
In general, 304 stainless steel sheets can last for decades or longer if used and maintained under the right conditions.
The following are some suggestions for extending the life of 304 stainless steel sheets
- Clean Regularly: 304 stainless steel plate needs to be cleaned regularly to remove impurities such as dirt and grease, which can reduce corrosion and wear on the surface
- Avoid Harmful Chemicals: Avoid substances that cause corrosion and wear on 304 stainless steel sheets such as chemicals containing chlorine or oxidizers
- Proper Storage: Store 304 stainless steel sheets to avoid exposure to high temperatures and humidity to prevent corrosion and oxidation
- Regular Maintenance: Regular maintenance and care, including regular inspection of the surface of 304 stainless steel plates for damage, timely repair, and replacement
- Use the Right 304 Stainless Steel Plates: Use the 304 stainless steel plate that meets your actual needs, for example, you should choose the 304 stainless steel plate with proper thickness and reliable quality to ensure its stability and durability in the process of use
- Avoid Overheating: 304 stainless steel plates can intergranular corrosion at high temperatures, so you need to control the temperature and heating time when heating and welding to avoid overheating.